A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Three non-reply replies

Once again, I've gotten a few letters back from people (or their offices) that inform me that the person in question is too busy to answer my letter, or generally doesn't answer fan mail.

While this may seem discouraging, I actually appreciate that more than never hearing from someone I wrote to. At least I know they took the time to read my letter.

Here now are three of the most recent non-reply replies. One from an Olympic legend, one from a comic genius, and one from the voice of Darth Vader:




James Earl Jones

Reference date: May 25th







As a voice-over artist, I study and emulate some of the great voices in entertainment history.

One of the most well known belongs to a man who is also one of the most gifted actors alive today, James Earl Jones.

In addition to his work as the vocal presence of Darth Vader, Mr. Jones has lent his resonant tones to Mufasa in "The Lion King" and is also the voice of CNN. He is a Tony winning actor, and has made some memorable onscreen appearances.

I wrote to him on the anniversary of the release of the original "Star Wars", and got this reply from his office, as well as an autographed photo.

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding James Earl Jones. Unfortunately his commitments are such that he cannot possibly accommodate all who ask for his assistance. He wishes you well and asks for your understanding.

I sent them a thank you the next day.





Michael Palin

Reference date: September 9th







I don't think there's any comedian or comedy writer (myself included) working today that hasn't been influenced by the groundbreaking British sketch comedy group of the late 1960's/early 70's, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

In addition to their self titled TV show, they produced a series of films (Search for th Holy Frail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life) that have become classics. I wrote to all the surviving members of the troupe on their anniversary, but have only heard from one so far, Michael Palin.

Mr. Palin appeared in some of the most quoted Python sketches (Lumberjack, Dead Parrot, The Bishop, etc.) and has carved out quite a film career after the group broke up, including 1988's "A Fish Called Wanda." He currently hosts a cable show where he travels around the world, so I knew it might be a longshot getting in touch with him, but I wrote nonetheless. This is what his office had to say:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your letter to Michael Palin telling him that his work has been an influence and inspiration in your career as an actor.

Michael is currently working on a new series for the BBC in Eastern Europe and is away on and off until spring next year. He does appreciate the trouble people take to write to him, but apologizes that with such a busy schedule he isn't able to write back to everyone individually or answer their questions.

Thank you again for writing and best of luck with your career!


I sent them a thank you the next day.




Nadia Comaneci

Reference date: July 19th







On the 30th Anniversary of her Olympic triumph in Montreal (a perfect 10), I sent a letter to Romanian gymnast Nadia Comaneci. Her impact on pop culture was so great that the theme song from "The Young and the Restless", which she used in her routine, was renamed "Nadia's Theme."

I actually saw her, and her husband, Olympian Bart Conner, up close on a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I wanted to say "Hey, did you get my letter?" but didn't.

Here is the non-reply from her office (which also included an autographed picture)

Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for your lovely letter. I dearly appreciate the sentiments and your support.

I am always surprised that so many people all over the world remember me from my Olympic career more than twenty years ago. At that time I could never have known that so many people would be inspired by my performances.

As you may imagine, I get so much mail that I cannot write each of you back with a more personal note, but I continue to enjoy hearing from you all.

I hope you will enjoy the autographed photo as a special "thank you" for your continued support.

Remember to follow your dreams!

- Nadia


I sent her a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home