A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, January 15, 2007

Don't lick a frozen pole!!!













Scott Schwartz

Reference Date: December 24th



One of the most ubiquitous child actors in the early 1980's was Scott Schwartz, who had a starring role opposite Richard Pryor in "The Toy", and as a mini tycoon in "Kidco." He had a supporting role in what would become his most well known film, 1983's "A Christmas Story."

This film, which did almost no business in theaters, has become a holiday perennial and is run in a 24 hour marathon on Christmas Eve.

Mr. Schwartz, who played Flick in the film, and is most famous for the scene where he licks a frozen flagpole and gets his tongue stuck, has avoided many of the pitfalls that child actors get into, and has built a successful career since then. If you read posts about him on the internet, he's constantly being referred to as one of the nicest guys in show business. I agree with this point, as he was kind enough to respond to my letter via his MySpace page. Here is the transcript:

Chris,

The only words of wisdom I can give you is be patient.

Patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait...

Really, it's all a matter of luck. 99% of the time, it's nothing you can ever control to get a job/acting gig etc.

Thanks for your kind words and being a fan of the work I have done.. Always appreciated.

No one ever gave me particular words of wisdom, just that I should always keep my head up and if that one particular role I wanted went to someone else, there was a reason for it.

I've never thought of myself as a role model, just a regular guy like everyone else and with the modest success I have had to always remain the same.

Be good to those who care for you, remember your friends will always be there if you treat them like they treat you, never forget where you come from and know that no one knows what the future holds.

Have a great 2007 & beyond!

Scott


I sent him a thank you immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home